Friday, July 02, 2004

Hope Part I (+ Intro) : Solar Tower

[+/-] show/hide this post

Recent Read : Solar Tower

Let's Hope:

I am initiating this small online project simply named "Hope". It is inspired by the Peak Oil issue I have read about earlier this month. Instead of reading about all the doom and gloom news, perhaps at the same time we can find out what is happening (or can happen) that may bring some hope to this blight.

I am encouraging whoever reading my web log to contribute by giving comments, or looking for information related to the energy issue. Be it an alternative source of renewable energy, energy control policy, energy replacement, or things that are currently relying on energy/electricity which can be done in another fashion, like organic farming, environmental cooling, plastic bag replacement, recycled paper bag, etc. In short, any information or ideas, including technology, policy or methods which can reduce our reliance on fossil feul energy are welcomed.


Solar Tower:

Read about it using the link above. Basically it is an edifice of about 1km tall and 3.5km in radius which can generate renewable energy without the need of fossil fuel. The energy generated is sufficient for 200k household in Australia.

It is a good news, except that to generate enough energy for the 1 million or so household in Singapore, we need to have around 5 of this giant which could be quite hard on our limited land. Perhaps we can use some of our island for this.

And it's not exactly cheap. Well, it's better than nothing.


Regarding Hope:

It is interesting how HOPE has always been the defining characteristic of human. Someone who has lost hope is as good as dead. Can I Hope that more people will contribute to this site? I certainly can ;).

4 Comments:

[+/-] show/hide comments to this post
Blogger nlho said...

Zuraffo, I'm just here to indicate my presence, as a living person without Hope. I've been losing momentum, or [Hope], to update my blog. May I ask how I can help beside contributing?

-- HonL

11:23 PM  
Blogger Zuraffo said...

Hrm... Maybe you should consult the almighty Wang Da Xian ;). If you want to help me, perhaps you can introduce more people to this site.

Also, can you post the address of your blog here?

9:21 PM  
Blogger nlho said...

To be correct, the Huang Da Xian in Hanyu Pinying. My rarely updated blog is at http://postgaruda.tripod.com . Will add your address in my blog too.

12:01 AM  
Blogger nlho said...

I guess my last comment didn't appear, due to whatever reason. But anyway, my blog is at http://postgaruda.tripod.com/. I put in a link of your blog in my blog too. -- HonL

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment